[PonyORM-list] to_json and to_dict ssems to unable to work with partial selections

Вадим Бажов vadim at ideco.ru
Fri Jan 2 12:51:29 UTC 2015

Suppose we have a table of Codes and Customers. Each code can belong to
exactly one customer.
For example, this works fine, giving me a json representation of a whole
object with all relation onjects if any:

     rcodeid = '3'

     rcode = to_json(select(r for r in Rcodes if r.id == rcodeid))

But if i try to select particular fields from table, like this:

     rcode = to_json(select((r.id,r.code) for r in Rcodes if r.id == rcodeid))

i get an exception:

(<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, TypeError('not all arguments converted
during string formatting',), <traceback object at 0x8ff648c>)

The situation with to_dict is exactly the same. Works fine with full
entities, throws an exception with partial selections.

Didn't find any notice in docs and blog that to_dict and to_json works
only with complete entities. So enlighten me please if it's me doing
something wrong or Pony ))

Thank you for the to_json method - it's very usefull.