[PonyORM-list] Migration tool

Alexander Kozlovsky alexander.kozlovsky at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 17:24:32 UTC 2016

Hi Vincent,

We don't have much progress with migrations yet, because we had other tasks
which were more important to us.

We use PonyORM internally for building https://fineartbiblio.com/, the site
for modern art. This site is built as a single page application. The public
interface is built using ReactJS, and the admin interface uses KnockoutJS.
In order to build this site we developed a technology which allows generate
JavaScript models based on PonyORM entities automatically. We can serialize
arbitrary set of PonyORM objects into a single JSON packet, transfer them
to the frontend and deserialize them as JavaScript objects. Then we can
traverse object relationships, the same way we do it in Python. Also we can
use objects for rendering components, have bi-directional data binding
between object attributes and HTML fields. When objects are changed at the
frontend, we can form a JSON packet with updated attributes and send it to
the backed. All this interaction is controlled by strict permission rules
defined in a declarative form. Overall, it was pretty successful experience.

We wanted to release this technology as a part of PonyORM, called PonyJS,
but the task of making a public release was a bit too complex. So,
developing of PonyJS took the most part of the last year. Because of that,
the work on migrations was delayed. But now we need migrations for our
project https://fineartbiblio.com/ ourselves. I hope we'll add migrations
this year.

Recently we've got one more full time core developer. Right now we are
working on adding support of PostgreSQL types - JSON, ARRAY and HSTORE, the
request we got from many users.
After this is done, we have two big tasks - migrations and support of
GraphQL. I think that this year should be pretty productive for PonyORM.

Regards,
Alexander Kozlovsky