[PonyORM-list] Meet PonyJS!

Alexey Malashkevich alexeymalashkevich at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:29:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

As you know Pony simplifies writing business logic at the backend. But what
if you need to work with the same objects at the frontend? We thought it
would be cool to have such an ability. Now you can do it using pony.js
module.

PonyJS is a module that brings Pony entities to the JavaScript frontend.
You can find an example of using PonyJS and short description of how it
works attached. In this example we use a simplified diagram of an
university: https://editor.ponyorm.com/user/pony/University.

In order to check the example you need to unzip files from
ponyjs_example.zip and launch index.py file using the following command:
python index.py. Then open the url http://localhost:5000 in your browser.
You need to have Flask and Pony installed. (pip install flask; pip install
pony)

In this single page application we get all departments, groups and courses
from the server at once. Then you can click any department and see related
groups and courses. Once you click to a group or course, a separate request
will be sent to the backend which will get all students for the selected
group or course. You can modify values of the objects and click Save
button. In this case the updated attributes will be sent to the backend and
saved in the database.

We are going to include this functionality to the next Pony release. Please
note that this is a preview version and we can modify the API before it is
released as part of Pony ORM. At the moment it uses KnockoutJS, but we are
going to add AngularJS support too.

Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Regards,
Alexey